Beneath the balance sheets and business strategy, an organisation's lifeblood comprises its people. We've asked our employees to share the best advice they've received that's helped guide their careers and professional life.
Advice from mentors comes in all shapes and sizes.
– "The best bit advice for me was actually a quote from David Bowie: Always go a little further into the water than you feel you’re capable of being in. Go a little out of your depth, and when you don’t feel that your feet are quite touching the bottom, you’re just about in the right place to do something exciting." – Jonathan Swift, head of product.
– "Who moved my cheese? by Dr Spencer Johnson is a motivational business fable." – Patrick Walters, director of customer solutions and engineering
– "As Steve Jobs says: Stay hungry, stay foolish" – Jose Sanchez, software engineer.
Of course, our mentors aren't always titans of industry!
– "Don't look back in anger.” Cheesy song lyrics maybe, but also sage advice for dealing with the challenges we face every day at work. Learn from your experiences, but start every day fresh, and leave negativity behind. – Dennis Adonis, content manager.
– "Be excellent to each other - Bill S. Preston Esq. and Ted Theodore Logan." – Anastas Manojlovski, solution architect.
Balance your work and life to get the best out of yourself
– "Work to live, don't live to work. If you're all in, all the time, you'll lose perspective." – Lachlan Hessing, video and motion producer.
– "A negative mind will never give you a positive life. A song I like to hum is Don't Worry Be Happy." – John Govas, sales consultant.
– "You can’t pour from an empty cup." – Sophie Hall, senior graphic designer.
Visualise your goals and structure your path to get to them
– "Lists. Write them, update them and reflect on them to remember and celebrate your achievements." – Casey Waters, product manager.
– "If you can see it in your mind, you can hold it in your hand." – Koray Komser, incident manager.
– "Energy goes where energy is." – Brant Williams, VP Americas
Step outside your comfort zone and embrace change
– "There is nothing more permanent than change. Don’t fear change. Embrace and own the parts of change that you can control. Acknowledge, but don’t worry about that parts of change that you cannot control." – Rob Mathewson, enablement and customer success lead.
– "Push yourself to new things, you never know what you are capable of." – Veronica Teplitzchi, Graphic Designer.
– "In comfort, there is no growth." – Catriona Walkerden, channel marketing manager, ANZ.
Finally, stay strong and be prepared to make the tough decisions!
– "When you have to make those tough calls, always remember "steel fist, velvet glove." This advice I received courtesy of my previous managing director, and it has serviced me well. – Robyn Djelassi group head of HR.
– "The coward spends their life wondering what may have been. The courageous have no such doubts." - Brian Williams, chief security officer.
– "Always do something that you're not quite ready to do. You might fail and that's OK, just dust yourself off, learn from it and push a little harder and try again. Don't give up." – Max Garrido, head of marketing.
And that's it for another week - stay excellent on your adventures!